- Demand for sustainable solutions creates opportunity to reimagine the role of data centers in the electrical grid
- “Data Centers as a Grid” approach enables customers to turn critical backup power infrastructure into a grid resource and generate new revenue streams
PITTSBURGH … The enormous global appetite for connectivity is creating the need for more data, storage and data centers – and, in turn, the need for more electricity and stronger reserves to protect critical operations for businesses, organizations and service providers. Intelligent power management company Eaton is using its Data Centers as a Grid approach to reimagine the role of the data center as an active participant in the energy transition, putting critical infrastructure to work in new ways to generate new revenue streams, enhance resiliency and reduce carbon emissions. A key component of Eaton’s Everything as a Grid perspective, this application helps transform existing systems and enables data centers to work harder, smarter and more sustainably.
“Data centers have an essential role to play in the energy transition as operators seek to reduce their environmental footprint and meet regulatory and corporate sustainability goals,” said Hervé Tardy, Eaton’s vice president marketing and strategy for Critical Power and Digital Infrastructure. “Our Data Centers as a Grid approach combines new energy management capabilities, data analytics and sophisticated controls with existing infrastructure to support a bi-directional flow of energy to and from the grid. Using this approach, data centers can efficiently and effectively coordinate multiple energy sources, adopt more renewables, anticipate energy needs and participate in grid programs to earn new revenue streams.”
[A recent study commissioned by Eaton, “The intersection of digital transformation and the energy transition,” points to the important role of new energy business models in improving the ways data centers view and manage power needs as operators seek to improve sustainability. Among other findings, the research found that more than one third of data center operators are seeking to sell generated power back to the grid as they continue to grow investments in renewables and energy storage.
Eaton’s Data Centers as a Grid approach combines intelligent power management technology, such as uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs), with digital innovation to reshape existing infrastructure into an asset for the grid. By enabling a bi-directional power flow, data centers can better support renewable resources and offset the cost of infrastructure upgrades by earning revenue through frequency response and other grid services. This creates a grid-interactive data center with infrastructure that increases sustainability, delivers more value, provides essential backup and substantially reduces operating costs.
Using Eaton’s approach, data center operators can:
- Protect investments while ensuring around-the-clock uptime: Tap into deep expertise and a broad range of solutions for data center energy systems to make updates essential to a new power paradigm.
- Generate recurring revenue with utility grid services: Leverage peak shaving to curtail energy usage multiple times per year to earn revenue from the utility. With Eaton’s EnergyAware UPS, there’s no effect on day-to-day operations, and synchronized reserve programs enable operators to add immediate capacity during unexpected outages.
- Reduce OpEx through cost avoidance: Time-of-use optimization enables a shift in energy consumption to avoid times of high energy prices while a generator alternative enables customers to withstand longer outages without starting a diesel generator.
- Transform dormant energy assets: Backup power systems can now also provide intelligent, grid-connected energy storage.
- Reduce environmental footprint: Diesel generators used for backup during utility outages can be replaced with new power centers and batteries.
- Contribute to a more sustainable world: Rapidly scale emergency power battery systems to support grid stability and further the penetration of renewable energy.
For more on how Eaton is helping optimize data centers for the digital, low-carbon future, visit Eaton.com/DataCenters. To learn more about how Eaton’s Everything as a Grid approach is unlocking new possibilities to advance the energy transition, visit Eaton.com/EnergyTransition.
Eaton is an intelligent power management company dedicated to improving the quality of life and protecting the environment for people everywhere. We are guided by our commitment to do business right, to operate sustainably and to help our customers manage power ─ today and well into the future. By capitalizing on the global growth trends of electrification and digitalization, we’re accelerating the planet’s transition to renewable energy, helping to solve the world’s most urgent power management challenges, and doing what’s best for our stakeholders and all of society.
Founded in 1911, Eaton is marking its 100th anniversary of being listed on the New York Stock Exchange. We reported revenues of $20.8 billion in 2022 and serve customers in more than 170 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com. Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Mark Van Hook
The post Eaton Introduces Data Centers as a Grid Approach appeared first on Industry Today.