- The audit scope covered Ball Aerosol Packaging at nine global manufacturing facilities as well as regional headquarters located in Westminster, Colorado, and Lille, France.
- “Achieving ASI certification demonstrates our commitment to sustainability and is the result of a rigorous process,” said Jay Billings, President of Ball Aerosol Packaging.
- This aligns with Ball’s 2030 sustainability goal to ensure all aluminium is purchased from certified sustainable sources.
BALL Corporation announces it has received the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) certification for the Performance and Chain of Custody Standards for its Global Aerosol Packaging division.
The certification covered all nine of Ball’s manufacturing plants, aerosol packaging and slugs worldwide.
This means Ball is the first impact extruded aluminium manufacturing company that’s able to supply ASI certified aluminium aerosol cans, slugs and bottles to its customers.
The announcement aligns to Ball’s 2030 sustainability goals in achieving net zero carbon emissions before 2050 and transitioning to 100% renewable electricity by 2030. This also includes ensuring all aluminium is purchased from certified sustainable sources.
Achieving ASI certification is a way for companies to show that they are compliant with increasingly stringent sustainability protocols.
These include the forthcoming Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive, expected to be introduced by the European Union in the first half of 2023.
The Performance Standard is a measure of how much effort a company is making to assess, manage and disclose its environmental, social and governance impacts. While the Chain of Custody Standard sets out requirements for the creation of a transparent and traceable supply chain.
Jay Billings, President of Ball Aerosol Packaging said: “Achieving ASI certification demonstrates our commitment to sustainability and is the result of a rigorous process.
“Infinitely recyclable aluminium packaging is a prime example of material circularity where resources stay in the system, reducing impacts on the environment. Our aluminium aerosol business’ sustainability efforts showcase what can be achieved through material and emissions reduction goal setting, innovation and, especially, partnership with customers.”
Predrag Ozmo, Sustainability Director, Ball Aerosol Packaging said: “ASI guarantees the highest sustainability standards throughout the entire aluminium value chain – from mining through refining, smelting, manufacturing, and product use, up to end-of-life management and recycling.
“It enables the aluminium industry to clearly demonstrate responsibility and provide independent and credible assurance of performance.”
ASI is a global, non-profit initiative that sets standards that ensure sustainable performance based on environmental, social, and governance principles and provides assurance of responsible production practices throughout the aluminium value chain.
- Ball’s Aerosol division offers a variety of infinitely recyclable innovative aluminium packaging solutions in the personal care, household and beverage packaging categories. These include a range of impact extruded single and multi-use aluminium bottles, as well as innovative aerosol containers with primary aluminium content made using low-carbon energy sources.
- Ball was the first extruded impact aluminium packaging supplier to get ASI certified in 2022, completing a rigorous process and committing to periodic audits and re-certification processes.
- The ASI audit covered all nine of Ball’s manufacturing plants, aerosol packaging and slugs, worldwide: Velim in Czechia, Bellegarde and Copal in France, Devizes in the UK, Ahmedabad in India, Verona in the US, Sherbrooke in Canada, Itupeva in Brasil and San Luis Potosi in Mexico, as well as regional headquarters located in Westminster, Colorado, and Lille, France.
- Aligning with the company’s 2030 goals, Ball’s global aluminum beverage operations have also completed ASI certification.
- For more information on ASI Certification visit: https://aluminium-stewardship.org/
About Ball Corporation
Ball Corporation supplies innovative, sustainable aluminum packaging solutions for beverage, personal care and household products customers, as well as aerospace and other technologies and services primarily for the U.S. government. Ball Corporation and its subsidiaries employ 21,000 people worldwide and reported 2022 net sales of $15.35 billion. For more information, visit www.ball.com, or connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.
The post Ball Aerosol Packaging Achieves ASI Certification appeared first on Industry Today.